Fox 8 news reported that 102 people in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania overdosed on synthetic marijuana over a period of three days. The marijuana-like substance is commonly referred to as “K2“. None of the overdoses resulted in fatality. According to the Director of Lancaster Emergency Medical Services, Robert May, some of the emergency calls involved 2
- Published in Cannabis Use, Drug Addiction, Drug Overdose, Information for Parents, Marijuana, Marijuana Addiction, Prevention and Intervention, Street Drugs, Synthetic Marijuana
Eleven teenagers in Indiana were hospitalized after overdosing on THC gummy bears. 911 was called, and when they responded on the scene they found numerous teens hallucinating, experiencing blurry vision, rapid heart rate, and pain in their legs. They all had ingested a half of a gummy bear that had been infused with THC (the
A University of Michigan study funded by the National Institute On Drug Abuse (NIDA) found that college students are presently 51% more likely to use marijuana than same age peers who are not enrolled in college. This trend has been increasing at about 10% per year for several years underscoring the need for increased prevention
North Carolina has an informative website which addresses the rising opioid problem. The address is GovernorsInstitute.org and this site highlights the issue of opioid use and misuse in the United States. Mentioned there is that 998 North Carolinians died of opioid overdose in 2015. The Governors Institute offers guidelines on opioid prescribing and also focuses
- Published in Addiction in Media, Buprenorphine, Drug Abuse Trends, Drug Overdose, Drug Treatment, Drug Treatment Funding, General Discussion, Heroin Overdose, Media and Addiction Coverage, Medication-Assisted Treatment, Methadone, Opioid Recovery, Opioid Treatment, Pain Management, Recovery
There is an enlightening article and video segment by Ryan Haraar (Colorado 9NEWS) on the rising problem with opioid overdose in America. The piece highlights that the United States comprises 5% of the world’s population, but consumes 80% of the world’s prescription opioids. Presently, there is considerable discussion in the news about the origins of
A local Fox 8 news article just revealed that Catawba County law enforcement authorities have uncovered a large poppy plant operation. Poppy plants are used to create opium which in turn is used to make heroin. The poppy plants had an estimated value of $500 million. State Bureau of Investigation authorities and local deputies wore
Authorities have identified a new drug hitting the streets that is a combination of heroin, fentanyl, another synthetic opioid called U-47700, and an elephant tranquilizer. Investigators are calling it a high-potency cocktail, and they are concerned about its potential to cause overdose death on first use. “Gray Death” is described as having the appearance and
Joe McDonald is President and CEO of Catholic Health Services in Buffalo, NY. They are an outpatient substance abuse treatment facility who recently relocated, and are adding “medication-assisted treatment” to help local people struggling with opioid addiction. Joe wrote an opinion piece for The Buffalo News, and in it expressed his hope that the local
A Fox News report highlighted a recent story detailing New Hampshire’s targeting of drug dealers. The state has undergone severe losses with numerous drug overdose deaths, particularly from heroin and fentanyl (a powerful synthetic opioid). New Hampshire is now “treating overdoses as crime scenes”, and pursuing charges of manslaughter against those who sell drugs that
A Newsweek article addresses a finding by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control & Prevention) which indicates individuals receiving an opioid prescription can develop an opioid dependency “within a few days of initial use”. The associated study was conducted at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, and was based on examination of patient records
- Published in Addiction in Media, Drug Addiction, Drug Facts, Drug Safety, General Discussion, Media and Addiction Coverage, Opioid Addiction, Pain Management, Prescription Drug Abuse, Recovery, Suboxone, Treatment and Recovery
Subscribe to ADS Posts
- Please visit this link below to learn more abou...
- Hello, Guilford County! It’s that time ag...
- Alcohol and Drug Services (ADS) is partnering w...
- Hi, Guilford County! The time has come to elimi...
- With addiction and recovery getting more nation...
- It’s time to get rid of your outdated or ...