Alcohol and Drug Services (ADS) is partnering with Healthy Guilford Coalition and UNCG to host a town hall meeting this coming Monday, 10/21/2019. The town hall focus will be on preventing underage drinking. A 32″ flatscreen TV will be given away at the event as well as $25 gift cards and other prizes. The event
- Published in Addiction, Addiction in Media, Drug Facts, Information for Parents, Medication-Assisted Treatment, Methadone, Prescription Drug Abuse, Prevention and Intervention, Recovery, Teen Substance Abuse, Tobacco, Treatment and Recovery
It’s time to get rid of your outdated or unused medications! The Drug Enforcement Agency, the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office, Healthy Guilford, Alcohol and Drug Services (ADS), and Safe Guilford are working together to sponsor another medication disposal initiative. Please note the dates and locations below where you can turn in expired medication. The program
A co-occurring disorder is one that involves both substance misuse and another mental health illness such as depression, anxiety, or bipolar disorder. Both disorders combined present a special challenge for patients, and they require a comprehensive treatment approach by professionals trying to help. SAMHSA published a recent article highlighting the prevalence of people in America
- Published in Addiction, Addiction Recovery, Drug Treatment, Information for Parents, Mental Illness, Prevention and Intervention, Recovery, Treatment and Recovery
Fox 8 news reported that 102 people in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania overdosed on synthetic marijuana over a period of three days. The marijuana-like substance is commonly referred to as “K2“. None of the overdoses resulted in fatality. According to the Director of Lancaster Emergency Medical Services, Robert May, some of the emergency calls involved 2
- Published in Cannabis Use, Drug Addiction, Drug Overdose, Information for Parents, Marijuana, Marijuana Addiction, Prevention and Intervention, Street Drugs, Synthetic Marijuana
Eleven teenagers in Indiana were hospitalized after overdosing on THC gummy bears. 911 was called, and when they responded on the scene they found numerous teens hallucinating, experiencing blurry vision, rapid heart rate, and pain in their legs. They all had ingested a half of a gummy bear that had been infused with THC (the
A University of Michigan study funded by the National Institute On Drug Abuse (NIDA) found that college students are presently 51% more likely to use marijuana than same age peers who are not enrolled in college. This trend has been increasing at about 10% per year for several years underscoring the need for increased prevention
Authorities have identified a new drug hitting the streets that is a combination of heroin, fentanyl, another synthetic opioid called U-47700, and an elephant tranquilizer. Investigators are calling it a high-potency cocktail, and they are concerned about its potential to cause overdose death on first use. “Gray Death” is described as having the appearance and
Know! April is Alcohol Awareness Month The media has done a good job bringing to light the prevalence and severity of the use of heroin, prescription drugs and marijuana among our nation’s youth. But what about alcohol? We don’t hear much about it in the news anymore. Is underage drinking still that widespread? And c’mon,
Surgeon General Vivek Murthy stated that more research is needed on the health effects of vaping. In a statement issued today, he expressed that e-cigarettes have the potential to create a whole new generation of nicotine addicts. E-cigarettes turn liquid nicotine into an inhaled vapor. While being touted as safer than cigarettes because of the
It has been said there is more than one victim in addiction. Sadly, families are often ripped apart and children left unattended for prolonged periods of time while a parent is out seeking drugs or actively using. As America’s heroin epidemic continues to unravel, we are witnessing innocent victims in this disease of the body,
Subscribe to ADS Posts
- Alcohol and Drug Services (ADS) is partnering w...
- Hi, Guilford County! The time has come to elimi...
- With addiction and recovery getting more nation...
- It’s time to get rid of your outdated or ...
- Spectrum News published a segment the week of 1...
- Greetings everyone! We have exciting news: ADS ...