Spectrum News published a segment the week of 1/14/2019 on the recent reduction in Guilford County deaths by opioid overdose. In the piece, Spectrum interviewed Clinical Supervisor Les Quagliano of Alcohol and Drug Services to gain more information on the role that medication plays in the treatment process. Narcan and buprenorphine were highlighted. While deaths
WSOC-TV has published a segment on NC Attorney General Josh Stein who is aiming for additional funding to address the ongoing opioid crisis. Mr. Stein indicates that there are simply not enough treatment centers across the state of North Carolina to adequately meet the needs of those addicted to opioids. The Hope Act is a
Historically, abstinence-based recovery has sought to establish that recovering addicts abstain from all use of illicit substances including alcohol. This model of treatment was originally rooted in the Alcoholics Anonymous 12 Step Program which by design was intended to address alcohol addiction specifically. That program has been extremely popular and effective in helping alcohol dependent
- Published in Addiction in Media, Addiction Recovery, Brain Science, Current Drug Trends, Drug Addiction, Faith and Inspiration, Heroin Overdose, Medication-Assisted Treatment, Methadone, Methadone Clinics, Opioid Addiction, Opioid Recovery, Opioid Treatment, Overdose Prevention, Recovery, Suboxone, Treatment and Recovery
An overview: Methadone and Suboxone are the two leading medications used in the treatment of opioid addiction. Methadone has been utilized in opioid treatment in the United States since the late 1960’s. Suboxone was introduced in 2002. Methadone and suboxone are in widespread use around the world due to their proven benefit in the treatment
Celebrate Life By Coming Together is a free family event open to the public. This event will remember, celebrate, empower, and encourage the loved ones of those impacted by overdose; support those who are in recovery from substance use; and give hope to the community. This event will have food, bounce houses, games, resource tables,
North Carolina has an informative website which addresses the rising opioid problem. The address is GovernorsInstitute.org and this site highlights the issue of opioid use and misuse in the United States. Mentioned there is that 998 North Carolinians died of opioid overdose in 2015. The Governors Institute offers guidelines on opioid prescribing and also focuses
- Published in Addiction in Media, Buprenorphine, Drug Abuse Trends, Drug Overdose, Drug Treatment, Drug Treatment Funding, General Discussion, Heroin Overdose, Media and Addiction Coverage, Medication-Assisted Treatment, Methadone, Opioid Recovery, Opioid Treatment, Pain Management, Recovery
Joe McDonald is President and CEO of Catholic Health Services in Buffalo, NY. They are an outpatient substance abuse treatment facility who recently relocated, and are adding “medication-assisted treatment” to help local people struggling with opioid addiction. Joe wrote an opinion piece for The Buffalo News, and in it expressed his hope that the local
Like most every place in the United States, the state of Colorado is also experiencing a local opioid crisis. In Denver, many people are in search of opioid treatment. In the video linked here, Denver Health is profiled as an area methadone clinic that is presently treating 600 patients who had developed severe opioid addiction.
Last month, the President and CEO of Partnership for Drug-Free Kids sent President Trump a letter requesting special funding to address the national opioid addiction & overdose crisis. Marcia Lee Taylor asked that the Trump Administration make this problem a priority and work with educators, healthcare providers, and governmental officials to draft policy solutions that
The Pew Charitable Trusts published a video overview on medication-assisted therapy for opioid use disorder. The clip is less than 2 minutes (shown below), and offers a quick summary of the medications often used in treating opioid addiction. Opioid use disorder is highlighted as a complex brain disease. Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) combines medication + behavioral
Subscribe to ADS Posts
- With addiction and recovery getting more nation...
- It’s time to get rid of your outdated or ...
- Spectrum News published a segment the week of 1...
- Greetings everyone! We have exciting news: ADS ...
- WSOC-TV has published a segment on NC Attorney ...
- Listed below is a link and a video with informa...